- information we receive from you on applications, customer feedback and survey responses, or other forms, telephone recordings with our representatives, and call centers
- information about your transactions with us, our affiliates, or others
- information we receive from you when you use our website, social media pages, or apps
- information we receive from other third parties, such as agents, producers, consumer reporting agencies, service providers, inspection agencies, or publicly available information from social media services, or governmental agencies
- information we receive for recruitment purposes, this includes information that you or your recruitment agency supply in relation to your candidacy (e.g. your CV, application form) pre-offer, and background checks (administered by a third party) post-offer
Depending on your relationship with us, you may receive other privacy notices from us providing additional detail about our privacy practices.Information we may collect about you
The types of personal information we collect and share depends on the product or service you have with us. This information can include the following:
- your name, mailing and email address(es), telephone number, date of birth, gender, marital or family status, identification numbers issued by government bodies or agencies (i.e., Social Security or FEIN, driver’s license or other license number) employment, education, occupation
- your policy coverage, claims, premiums and payment history from your dealings with us, our affiliates, or others
- your financial history from other insurance companies, financial organizations or consumer reporting agencies, including but not limited to payment card numbers, bank account or other financial account number and account details, credit history and credit scores, assets and income and other financial information
- your medical history and records
- your browsing history, search history, information on your interaction with our website, your application, or advertisement
- other personal information required in order for us to provide products and services that you have requested
Personal information does not include:
- publicly-available information from government records
- de-identified or aggregated consumer information
We may process personal information for certain legitimate or lawful purposes in some or all of the following ways:
- to correspond with clients, beneficiaries and claimants in order to facilitate the insurance policies or services
- to maintain our accounts and records
- to defend or make claims
- for recruitment purposes
- for the performance of a contract with you or to take steps to enter into a contract
- to comply with a legal obligation
- to comply with law enforcement, court and regulatory bodies’ requirements
- to identify and prevent fraud
- to modify, personalize or otherwise improve our services or communications
- to gather market intelligence, communicate with and tailor offers to individuals
- for training and quality purposes
- to enhance the security of our network and information systems
- for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of an official authority
We may use your personal information in the following ways:
- to process your transaction with us, for instance, to determine eligibility for coverage, to process claims or to prevent fraud
- to identify you and to carry out any identity checks as may be required by applicable law and best practice at any given time
- to recover any payments due to us and where necessary to enforce such recovery through the engagement of debt collection agencies or taking other legal action
- to analyze it in order to understand the service we provide and in order to improve our business
- to manage our infrastructure, business operations and comply with internal policies and procedures
- to notify you about changes to our products or services
- to comply with applicable laws and regulatory obligations
- to monitor calls and transactions to ensure service quality, compliance with procedures
- to carry out background and reference checks, in relation to recruitment specifically
- to provide you with information about the online services or required notices
We use and share your personal information with affiliated and non-affiliated third parties for the purposes of underwriting insurance, administering your policy or claim and other purposes as permitted by law.
We may disclose personal information about you to the following types of third parties:
- service providers, such as insurance agents and/ or brokers, claims adjusters, or reinsurers
- governmental authorities and non-affiliated third parties as permitted by law
We restrict access to personal information about our customers/claimants to those individuals who need to know that information to provide products and services to our customers/claimants or as permitted by law. We train our employees to safeguard personal information. We maintain reasonable physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to guard your personal information in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Do Not Track signals: We do not support this at this time. This practice maybe revised in the future.Social Security numbers
We protect the confidentiality of your Social Security number by reasonable physical, electronic and procedural safeguards as required by law.Children’s privacy
We do not knowingly collect personal information from minors, including children under the age of 13. Our products, services, and website are not intended for use by minors.Links to other websites
This website may contain links to other third-party websites. If you follow a link to any of those third- party websites, please note that they have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for their policies or processing of your personal information.International visitors
For a copy of our Privacy Notices, please click here: U. S. Consumer Privacy Notice. For further information, please contact us at email@example.com, or call +1.888.560.4671, or write to Markel Corporation Privacy Office, 4521 Highwoods Parkway, Glen Allen, VA 23060.For residents of California
The categories or personal information we have collected from consumers within the last twelve (12) months includes the following:
Your name, mailing and email address(es), telephone number, date of birth, gender, marital or family status, identification numbers issued by government bodies or agencies (i.e., Social Security number or FEIN, driver’s license or other license number), or other similar identifiers.
Personal Information categories listed in the California Customer Records Statute (Cal. Civ. Code 1798.809(e)
A name, signature, Social Security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, driver’s license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information. Some personal information included in this category may overlap with other categories.
Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law
Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic information (including familial genetic information).
Your policy coverage, claims, premiums and payment history from your dealings with us, our affiliates, or others. Your financial history form other insurance companies, financial organizations or consumer reporting agencies.
Your medical history and records.
Internet or other similar network activity
Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.
Physical location or movements.
Audio, electronic, visual, or similar information.
Professional or employment-related information
Current or past job history or performance evaluations. For recruitment purposes, this includes information you or your recruitment agency supply in relation to your candidacy (e.g. your CV, application form) pre-offer, and background checks (administered by a third party) post-offer.
Non-public education information (per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99))
Education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes, student financial information, or student disciplinary records.
Other personal information required in order for us to provide products and services you have re-quested.
Information excluded from the CCPA’s scope, includes but not limited to:
- health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act or clinical trial data
- personal information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act , the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act or California Financial Information Privacy Act (FIPA), and the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act of 1994
Sales of Personal Information
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have not sold your personal information.
Your Rights and Choices
The CCPA provides consumers (California residents) with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions.
Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
- Calling us at +1.888.560.4671
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write to Markel Corporation Privacy Office, 4521 Highwoods Parkway, Glen Allen, VA 23060
Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child.
You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The verifiable consumer request must:
- provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative
- describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it
We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
Personal Information Sales Opt-Out and Opt-In Rights
We do not and will not sell your personal information. Also, we do not sell the personal information of consumers we actually know are less than 16 years of age, unless we receive affirmative authorization (the “right to opt-in”) from either the consumer who is between 13 and 16 years of age, or the parent or guardian of a consumer less than 13 years of age. Consumers who opt-in to personal information sales may opt-out of future sales at any time.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights, unless permitted by the CCPA.
Other California Privacy Rights
California’s “Shine the Light” law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits users of our website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email or write to the address listed below.
Last updated: January 2020Conditions for use of this web site
By using this web site, you signify your agreement to the terms and conditions contained in these legal notices. If you do not accept these terms and conditions, please do not use this web site. Please read these terms carefully. We reserve the right to add, delete or otherwise modify portions of these terms at any time. You should visit this page periodically to review the terms and conditions. User access to and use of this web site is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Virginia law and Federal law will govern the interpretation and enforcement of these terms and conditions.Disclaimer
This web site has been prepared solely for the purpose of providing information about Markel Corporation and the services and products it offers through its subsidiaries. Markel has compiled this web site in good faith. However, no representation is made as to the completeness or accuracy of the information it contains. In particular, you should be aware that this information may be incomplete, may contain errors or may have become out of date. The reports filed by Markel with the Securities and Exchange Commission and listed on this web site speak only as of the respective dates on which they are filed or used by Markel. Markel makes no commitment, and disclaims any duty, to update any of those reports. MARKEL DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE WEB SITE WILL OPERATE ERROR-FREE OR THAT THE WEB SITE AND ITS SERVERS ARE FREE OF COMPUTER VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL MATERIAL. IF YOUR USE OF THE WEB SITE OR THE SITE’S MATERIAL RESULTS IN ANY COSTS OR EXPENSES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE NEED FOR SERVICING OR REPLACING EQUIPEMENT OR DATA, MARKEL SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THOSE COSTS OR EXPENSES. THIS WEBSITE AND THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN (INCLUDING ANY REFERENCES TO PRODUCTS OR SERVICES) ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY OR IMPLIED TERM OF ANY KIND. MARKEL, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, INCLUDING THE WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS, AND THE WARRANTY OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. ALTHOUGH MARKEL STRIVES TO PROVIDE THOROUGH AND ACCURATE MATERIALS ON ITS WEB SITE, WE MAKE NO WARRANTIES ABOUT THE ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, COMPLETENESS, OR TIMELINESS OF THE MATERIAL, SERVICES, SOFTWARE, TEXT, GRAPHICS, AND LINKS. IN NO EVENT SHALL MARKEL OR ANY OF ITS SUBSIDIARIES BE SUBJECT TO LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR OTHERWISE, WHETHER OR NOT ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY THEREOF, UNDER ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE PROVISION OF INFORMATION ON THIS WEB SITE OR SITES LINKED TO THIS WEB SITE.Forward looking statements
This is a Safe Harbor statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. This web site and the site’s material, including documents and presentations within it, contain forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Forward-looking statements may be identified by the use of terms such as believes, expects, estimates, may, intends, plans, will, should or anticipates or by the negative thereof or similar expressions, or by discussions of strategy. Markel Corporation has based the forward-looking statements on beliefs, assumptions, expectations and projections about future events using information available at the time such statements were made. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions about Markel. Discussion of factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from management's projections, forecasts, estimates and expectations is contained in Markel's SEC filings, including Forms 8-K, 10-Q and 10-K. Markel cautions the reader not to place undue reliance on its forward-looking statements because the assumptions, beliefs, expectations and projections about future events may and often do materially differ from actual results. Markel undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statement to reflect developments occurring after such statement is made.Copyright notice
Material contained on this web site is copyrighted material by Markel Corporation. All rights reserved. No materials from this web site may be copied, reproduced, republished, posted, or distributed in any way, except as expressly permitted herein or with the prior consent of Markel Corporation.Trademark notice
MARKEL and its Design are registered trademarks of Markel Corporation. All other trademarks are property of Markel Corporation or its subsidiaries unless otherwise designated. The use of these marks, except as expressly permitted herein or with the prior consent of Markel Corporation is prohibited.Reference to analysts
Although Markel Corporation may reference or provide a list of analysts on this web site as a convenience to you, any opinions, estimates or forecasts regarding Markel Corporation's performance made by these analysts are theirs alone and do not necessarily represent opinions, forecasts or predictions of Markel Corporation or its management. Markel Corporation does not by its reference above or distribution imply its endorsement or sponsorship of, or concurrence with, such information, conclusions or recommendations of the analysts or firms.Links to other materials
Some of the links available to you through this web site will allow you to leave the Markel web site. The Internet sites and the material that you can access there are not under the control of Markel, and Markel makes no representations and disclaims all liability with respect thereto. The links are provided only for your convenience, and their inclusion does not constitute nor imply approval or endorsement by Markel of the sites or their content. If you decide to visit any third-party sites using the links from this web site, you do so at your own risk.Indemnity
By using this web site, you agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Markel Corporation and its subsidiaries, their officers, their directors, their employees and their agents, from and against any and all losses, claims, damages, costs and expenses (including reasonable legal and accounting fees) that Markel may become obligated to pay arising or resulting from your use of the web site or your breach of these terms and conditions. Markel reserves the right to assume or participate, at your expense, in the investigation, settlement and defense of any such action or claim.Violations of terms and conditions
In the event that you violate or attempt to violate any of the terms and conditions contained in these legal notices, Markel reserves the right to terminate your access to this web site immediately, at our sole discretion, with our without notice of any kind. We also reserve the right to involve and cooperate with the law enforcement agencies, and to pursue a civil lawsuit or criminal prosecution for any and all alleged or actual illegal activities involving this web site.Legal disputes, severability and choice of law
If there is a legal dispute of any kind about or arising out of the use if this web site, the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia will govern such dispute without regard to conflict of law rules. You agree that if any part of these terms and conditions is found to be unenforceable, the remainder of these terms and conditions will remain in full force and effect. By using this web site you expressly agree and submit to personal jurisdiction and exclusive venue in the state and federal courts located in the City of Richmond, Commonwealth of Virginia.
Products and services are provided through various non-admitted insurance company subsidiaries of Markel Corporation and are offered through licensed surplus lines brokers. Not all products and services may be available in all jurisdictions, and the coverage provided by any insurer is subject to the actual terms and conditions of the policies issued. Non-admitted insurance carriers do not generally participate in state guaranty funds and insureds are therefore not protected by such funds.
Insurance, coverage, and discounts are subject to availability and qualifications and may not be available in all states. Coverage descriptions listed are intended to be brief and do not replace actual policy language. For questions or a complete definition of coverages and discounts available to you, please call a Markel Specialty insurance specialist at +1.866.936.1879.
Use of the term “member” or “membership” refers to membership in USAA Membership Services and does not convey any legal or ownership rights in USAA. Restrictions apply and are subject to change.
USAA Insurance Agency means USAA Insurance Agency, Incorporated or USAA of Texas Insurance Agency (collectively the “Agency”). California License #0D78305, Texas License #7096. 9800 Fredericksburg Road, San Antonio, Texas 78288. The Agency contracts with insurance carriers that are not affiliated with USAA and offers products and services (“third-party insurance products”) on their behalf. Third-party insurance products are not underwritten by USAA or its affiliates. The Agency receives a commission on the sale or renewal of third-party insurance products and may receive other performance-based compensation from them. Purchase of third-party insurance products does not establish USAA membership. Product and coverage descriptions are brief. All coverages are subject to the terms and conditions of your policy. Read your policy for details. Product and coverage availability may vary in some locations and all applications for insurance are subject to underwriting by the insurance carrier. 258370 – 1221
© 2022 Markel Corporation